Serves: 20 mini sausage rolls
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25-30 mins
- 1 packet of gluten and dairy free pastry (shop bought is easiest here I am yet to discover a way to make homemade gluten and dairy free puff pastry that works well)
- 2 eggs
- 500g pure lean sausage meat
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Teaspoon of paprika
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Lightly grease a baking sheet
- Add the sausage meat, chives, salt, pepper, thyme and 1 egg to a mixing bowl. Combine together thoroughly ( I find using a fork to do this easiest).
- Lightly flour a surface and divide the pastry into two. Roll out one half of the pastry until it is a rectangle measuring about 60-70 cm wide and 20 cm long.
- Take half of the sausage meat mixture and spread it evenly in a line along the top third of the pastry rectangle.
- Brush the opposite length of the pastry rectangle lightly with water ( this will help seal the pastry once you begin rolling).
- Now begin rolling. Take the length with the sausage meat and gently roll it over itself until it meets the watered end (I find this a two person job – another pair of hands it useful to make sure both ends are evenly rolled over).
- You should now have a long cylinder of pastry encased sausage meat!
- At this point I like to cut the cylinder into inch long mini sausage rolls – you can make them bigger if you want to.
- Place onto the baking sheet and repeat the process with the rest of the sausage meat and the other half of the pastry.
- Prick the top of each sausage roll with a fox
- Whisk together an egg and lightly brush each sausage roll
- Place in the oven for about 25 – 30 mins – the sausage rolls should be lovely and golden brown on the top.
- Remove from the baking sheet and leave to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Enjoy !
These yummy FODMAP sausage rolls are great party food additions. They are completely dairy and gluten free, and will last 4-5 days in an air tight container in the fridge. I prefer to eat them hot fresh from the oven, but they are equally delicious as a cold snack too!