Serves: 300 ml
Prep time: 10 mins
- 2 egg yolks (room temperature)
- generous pinch salt
- generous pinch pepper
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 300 ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Juice the lemon and measure out the olive oil.
- Combine the egg yolks, salt and mustard powder in a bowl
- Place a whisk attachment on to your food processor (or alternatively hand whisk). Turn the processor on to a high setting and begin to very slowly add the olive oil. Slow is key here you don’t want the mixture to split !
- Once half of the olive oil is added slowly add in the lemon juice to the mixture (keep the food processor whisking all the time!).
- Add a quarter more of the olive oil slowly and then add in the white wine vinegar.
- Add the rest of the olive oil and finally the maple syrup.
- Turn the whisk off and stir through the paprika and pepper.
- Taste and further season with lemon juice, salt and/or pepper to balance
- If not using immediately, cover with cling film and pop in the fridge.
This home made mayonnaise is great for dipping veggies and home chips into or alternatively for adding to a tasty FODMAP coleslaw. Unfortunately patience is key with this recipe, don’t be too eager or the mixture will split! Once made it will sit quite happily in an air tight jar for up to a week. Feel free to add chopped herbs such as chives and parsley to create a yummy herby mayo, it is a great base to play around with!