Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Icing time: 10/15 mins
For the vanilla sponge
- 8oz gluten free flour
- 4 large eggs
- 4 oz coconut sugar
- 2 oz stevia
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 6 oz of coconut oil ( melted )
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
For the icing
- 140g of soft dairy free butter
- 12 oz icing sugar
- 3 teaspoons of coffee essence
- pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- line and grease two medium cake sandwich tins with coconut oil and baking paper
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave (30 secs stir 30 secs again)
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. (be sure to sieve the flour you don’t want any lumps! )
- Beat together the eggs.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Place the wet ingredients into the well. Combine with the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- Mix until all the ingredients are combined and a cake batter has formed.
- Divide the batter and split between the two cake tins.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25 mins.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Place all of the icing ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat together with a wooden spoon until a thick butter cream forms (if your dairy free butter is too soft you may need more icing sugar). Place in the fridge for half an hour.
- When the cake has cooled place 1/3 of the butter cream on the surface of one of the sandwich halves. Spread and then place the other half on top.
- Then evenly spread the rest of the butter cream over the rest of the cake – make sure there is an even coat all over!
- I decorated my cake with some cacao buttons, get creative and see what you can come up with!
- Slice and serve
I love cake, when I first started out on my low FODMAP journey I was certain I would never see it again. I am so glad I was wrong! This dairy and gluten free sponge cake is the best. Although it has a slightly closer texture it is wonderfully moist, don’t worry you wont find any dry and crumbly cakes here. Store it in an air tight container for up to a week.