Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 1/3 cup of brown rice plus 1 1/3 cups of water
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds
- 10 green olives quartered
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 red pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 fresh chilli
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Add the rice, turmeric, dried herbs, lemon juice, water and salt and pepper to a sauce pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer covered. Cook the rice for about 35 mins ( until all the water has been absorbed). Do not stir.
- Cut the peppers in half, leaving the stalks attached and cut out all the seeds and white part. Place in an oven proof tray and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove the seeds and stalk from the chilli and finely chop
- Quarter the olives
- In a dry frying pan toast the seeds over a medium heat and set to one side.
- When the rice has cooked, remove from the heat and set to one side covered for atleast 15 mins ( the time the peppers are in the oven for).
- Place the peppers in the oven and cook for 15 mins.
- Combine together the chilli, seeds, fresh basil and olives.
- Add to the rice pan and combine.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and fill will the rice mixture. Use a spoon to press down and make sure it is completely filled.
- Place back in the oven covered with foil for another 15 mins.
- Serve and enjoy !
These stuffed peppers are a super tasty way of upping your carbohydrate intake on the FODMAP diet. The brown rice is packed with fibre that is great for reducing high cholesterol levels, and for keeping blood sugar levels in check. I love to eat these alongside a tasty FODMAP burger, it is a great change from chips and a bun!