Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45
- 1 small red pepper
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 courgette
- 10 green olives
- 1/2 a large bag of spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Add the rice, dried basil, chives and lemon juice and water to a sauce pan. Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer with the lid on until all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice ( about 35 mins).
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees
- Chop up the red pepper into bit sized chunks. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30 mins.
- Finely slice the courgette and chop the olives into 1/4s. Set to one side.
- In a dry frying pan toast the pine nuts and seeds over a medium heat. Set to one side when they are nice and golden brown.
- Roughly chop up the fresh basil.
- When the rice has absorbed all the liquid turn off the heat and set to one side with the lid on. This will make sure all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is light and fluffy !
- Combine the dressing ingredients.
- Add the red pepper, courgette, olives, fresh basil and spinach to pan with the rice. Combine.
- Add the dressing and toss the salad.
- Serve with the toasted nuts and seeds sprinkled over the top.
A tangy lemony salad that would go so well with a nice piece of fresh fish. It is also a great one to make in advance, and can be enjoyed hot or cold. I like to serve with a few chunky slices of lemon on top, you really cannot beat how fresh it tastes !