Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 2/3 hours (low and slow)
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 large aubergine
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1 fresh chilli (seeds removed)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 bag spinach
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 bag fresh chives
- 1 bag fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Marmite
- 150 ml water
- pinch salt and pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 150 degrees
- Chop up the chicken breast and aubergine into bite sized pieces.
- Juice lime, remove seeds from chilli and remove stalks from coriander.
- Add salt, pepper lime juice, ginger, chives, coriander stalks, chilli, cumin, ground coriander, turmeric to the food processor. Blend until curry paste forms ( it may be a bit liquidy).
- Heat oven proof pan over a medium heat – melt coconut oil.
- Brown chicken and aubergine pieces.
- Add curry paste to the chicken and aubergine and cook stirring continuously for a couple of minutes.
- Add tin of tomatoes, tomato puree and Marmite to the pan. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and double the quantity of the quinoa of water to the pan.
- Stir and combine
- Cover with lid and place in the oven for 2 /3 hours (check every 45 mins or so and stir). Low and slow is key here – let all the flavours infuse !
- Just before serving add the spinach to the curry. Stir and place back in the oven for 5 minutes to wilt.
- Chop up the coriander leaves and garnish to serve.
This is one of my favourite dishes to make at the weekend. It does take a bit of prep, but once all the ingredients are put together the oven does all the work. It really is as simple as that. This curry is so good on its own, but would also go really nicely with a dollop of coconut yogurt and a gluten free naan. This dish is great for making in bulk at the weekend. It can be stored for 2 /3 days in the fridge, making it a perfect mid week supper when you need a good meal after a long day at work minus the cooking time !